Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Walking in Memphis

After 6 days at the Cook Convention Center, I decided to take a short afternoon walk to check out Poplar Tunes, a local music store. One of the few things I enjoy doing while traveling for work is checking out local music stores; however, this one was rather disappointing. This location is geared towards the hip hop locals and the Elvis tourists. I am neither. Oh well. Maybe before I leave I can find some other local record stores with a wide range of rock & roll, jazz & blues and maybe even some vinyl!

Now about the short afternoon walk. It is a pretty brisk 60 degrees in the convention center, so I have been freezing my ass off for the last 6 days. I was finally able to score an event hooded sweatshirt that is probably a size too small and few years too young, but it is keeping me warm. Anyway, I decide to go outside, so I remove the sweatshirt and head out to Main Street. As I exit the frigid environs of the Cook CC, I am slammed in the face with what feels like the exhaust from a bus! It is a humid 95 degrees in downtown Memphis today which means it feels like Hell. After one block, I needed a pit stop for new soles for my shoes. By the time I reach 3rd street, I am well lathered up and filled with regret. Another block and I reach my disappointing destination: Poplar Tunes. What's worse, now I have to walk back to the Cook CC, another 4 blocks in the incinerator. Lesson learned!

I am now back in the comfort of the cold, Cook CC and I couldn't be happier! I am watching my screen saver slide show of some of my favorite pictures of Jackson. These are a couple that made me laugh.






Isn't he cute? Thank goodness I have these pictures. It would be unbearable without them!

No comments: